Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Almond Roca Cookies

I am a chocolate and nut lover.  Always have been and always will be.  My dad would not come home from work without a treat for us.  Something sweet of course!  My husband tells me he should have looked at my teeth before he married me, he could have saved a fortune!

Cookies are my favorite.  Chocolate chip with nuts, especially.  I did acquire a recipe from one of my mother’s co-workers years ago that fit my obsession.  Almond Roca Cookies.  I accompanied my mother to a Head Start seminar (she was a teacher) perhaps when I was 18 or so, where refreshments were brought by different ones.  Pat Williams of Davis, CA brought these cookies to the seminar.  Now I am really shy by nature, but I had to ask for that recipe.  It has all the ingredients to fully satisfy my sweet tooth: butter, sugar, chocolate and nuts.  I still have her recipe card written in her own hand, which reads, “Good cooks never lack friends.” For a different kind of cookie try this recipe.

Almond Roca Cookies
Download the recipe on a 3x5 card.

1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
9 ounces milk chocolate
1 cup sliced raw almonds

Cream butter and sugars.  Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.  Add flour and mix well.  Spread batter evenly in an ungreased 10 X 15” rimmed cookie pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Meanwhile melt chocolate in double broiler or microwave and spread over warm shortbread.  Sprinkle almonds on top.  Cut into squares while still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment