Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Soup Anyone?

My husband Barry dislikes yams or is it sweet potatoes?  Why, I can't figure out.  How could anyone not like yams or sweet potatoes?  Whenever presented on the table, he will pass them by.
Yam and Sweet Potato

Though interchanged, the yam is  unrelated to the sweet potato.  The yam is a tuber from the lily family, whereas the sweet potato is of the morning glory family.  Both are very tasty, the yam being sweeter with a deeper orange flesh, or is it the other way around?  Both are loaded with nutrients, with the sweet potato outshining the yam only slightly.

I was telling this to a  friend who, like my husband was not fond of yams.  She told me whenever she disliked a vegetable, she would search for a recipe using that particular vegetable, hoping that it would appeal to her.
Great idea!  She told me about a yam soup recipe that she made and liked very much.  I thought I'd try it.  Lo and behold,  my husband ate and enjoyed it.

Download Recipe Card
This recipe for yam soup came from the magazine "Something Extra"  put out by Raley's and Bel Air Supermarkets.  It's easy.  Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Yam Soup

4 strips bacon, cooked and cut into bits
2/3 cup onions, chopped
2/3 cup celery, chopped
2/3 cup carrots, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups chopped fresh yams
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Saute vegetables in bacon drippings about 10 minutes.  Add stock, yams, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.  Puree soup in a blender.  Add bacon bits and simmer 10 minutes more.

If you dislike yams or sweet potatoes, and you decide to try this recipe, let me know what you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment